Thursday, February 23, 2006

Form, People! Form!

I love going to the gym and watching people lift weights. Now, I had a whole theory until tonight about the difference between men and women lifting weights. Usually, when I see women lifting, they're diligent about "doing it right". They've talked to a trainer, they've learned exactly the right way to do it, and they do it the same way every time. Men, on the other hand, tend to be interested in showing how much weight they can handle. You're never going to see a guy at the gym who is doing bicep curls using 12.5 pound weights. No way. They are doing at least twenty pounds, and they are going to impress everyone with how easily they lift them. And I sit there and watch them power their way through their sets, rocking back and forth, counting on momentum to carry the weight. It's actually sort of painful to watch them, because I wonder, are they sore from it the next day? What kinds of results do they get?

Anyway, my gender theory was completely blown to crap tonight. Because this woman appeared (my trainer, who was there with a different client, said that she suddenly is there all the time), and her form is....atrocious. Not only that, but she hogs the equipment. And she doesn't let people work in, either, from what I hear. And, worst of all, she wears a weird visor.

So, I guess bad lifting form isn't completely gender keyed. Unles....she's a transsexual. That's what it is! All is righth in my world again.

1 Comments:

Blogger CultureMaven said...

Yeah, I'm a bear about form too. It's awesome to witness my trainer randomly correcting people because she just can't take it anymore. She'll be like, "You! Relax your knee, I can see it tensing from here," or "Stop." I love experiencing it vicariously. I stood there today and watched guys doing god only knows what to their bodies.

Maybe the ones that stick with it end up at circus side shows.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home