Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Just a Couple of Things

Okay, this is a collection of some random things. First things first. I got home today and turned on the tv, and realized that Yes Dear has now been on the air long enough to be syndicated. How did this happen? Who is watching this show? I don't think I've watched it for more than five minutes at a stretch. Whoever is watching it, please stop. Now.

Other things that need to stop. Tapered jeans. I have seen a disturbing renaissance of this style in my wanderings in downtown DC and at my local Y (and, by the way, who exercises in jeans? I mean, if you're going to do it, at least wear something comfortable so you come back! But I guess it's good that people don't use the lack of comfortable clothing as an excuse not to do it.), and that is a style that looks good on no one. Really, I don't care how skinny you are, you still have shoulders, and you look like a wedge. Stop wearing them!

I will admit that the incidences of cropped/gaucho pants which I noted in the fall has fallen quite a bit. Are they not winter wear? Well, whatever. They're gone, and I, for one, am pleased about it.

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I'm a hundred pages in, and already it's a very disturbing account of drug addiction and recovery. I didn't think much of the style at first, but it's really very powerful, and he's a very evocative writer.

I mentioned a few weeks ago my excitement at the return of Project Runway on Bravo. I have come to really appreciate Tim Gunn on this show. He is the salt on the reality show slug. All that drama swirling around, and he's like this slice of acid through the show. He's not mean. He's very nice, just firm. As someone on the TWOP forum said, he would tell you that you suck. Very nicely. Not to be mean, but because it's true. I find it sort of comforting that real people exist on television.

4 Comments:

Blogger shimshamsean said...

Jeans at the gym? Egad Brain, what will they think of next? Goucho pants while boating, however, now that makes sense.

2:45 PM  
Blogger CultureMaven said...

Because they're wearing flood pants already! Bwah!

8:17 PM  
Blogger shimshamsean said...

exactly my dear ms. maven, exactly. moohooaaahhhaaahhaaahhh.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Dear Rules! sheesh, why you hating on it? Also, where's the update Mavenlady?

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home