Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Cleanup

sorry for the random and sporadic posts. I'm not sure why, to be honest. I've been...distracted. I'm not sure why. I guess I've been feeling not much like writing for some reason. So some totally unconnected and random things.

1. Reality TV heaven
Both The Apprentice and The Amazing Race premier(ed) this week. Though some folks on the TWoP boards were lukewarm, I really liked the first episode. Wonderfully bitchy, and I already have an evil person I don't like (I'm sorry, but going around and bragging that you're in Mensa is sort of annoying, and being smart does not mean you are a good leader or the right person for this show. I'm not in Mensa, but I'm relatively smart and have a grasp of random things like being able to talk coherently for five minutes about the Runnymede treaty, but it doesn't mean I can lead a team to victory in some lame Apprentice assignment), and a couple potentials that I do like.

The Amazing Race. I'm astounded. The first episode is almost over, and not one person has screamed at their partner in a way that I find irritating and annoying. Some couples I don't like (Lake and...Michelle? Annoying, especially him. Eric and Jeremy? Hate.), but some I do like (Dave and Lori? Totally cute nerdy couple. Bj and Tyler. Self styled hippies, but seem pretty savvy and are well traveled, but not Guido well traveled (we lived in Paris for two years)). And some I don't actively dislike, but are annoying (southern screamy sisters, Boston guys). I will say, that John, one of the Boston guys, even if sort of irritating, is really embracing the spirit of the race in the first leg. He seems like someone who has sort of lived in self imposed fear, and is using this opportunity to sort of free himself of his fears. Which I can appreciate. Oh, and one couple that's been dating long distance for five years (five years? What's the point in that? Someone has to move eventually) and are "getting to know each other better". Yeah, a national tv show is ALWAYS the best place for that.

But for the return of Phil Keoghan on Tuesday nights I am truly thankful.

2. New music.
Specifically, the podcast NYUB. I don't love everything he plays, but it's all independent and unsigned music, and I rather gather he was an early propenent of the Arctic Monkeys, who are being hyped as the The Next Big Thing. He's a kiwi, but is broadcasting out of London. He pulls music from all over the world, but it is not, by any stretch of the imagination, "world music". He's very personable, for the four minutes he talks during a podcast that runs anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or more. I don't respond to everything he's playing, but I like enough of it to keep listening.

3. GW Colonials. Currently sitting at 23-1, beaten only by Charlotte, who we'll be meeting again on Saturday, March 4. Great season for them. I'm so happy for the seniors on the team, who have stuck with it and really played hard and well for the team. They'll get a bye into the NCAA tourney, and they'll play well in the A-10 tournament, I'm sure.

That's it. Hey, I directed you to a cool podcast, so just shut up.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

liza says:

oh! i missed amazing race. damn. i want to watch that.

i must shamefully admit that i started watching the bachelor. bwahahahaha i know, its so lame.

5:56 PM  
Blogger CultureMaven said...

Oh LIZA! The Bachelor? Hee, I'm just kidding. You didn't miss too much by not watching the first ep (well, except Phil letting loose with the eyebrow pop), but the team philiminated was annoying and deserved it.

7:52 PM  
Blogger shimshamsean said...

the bachelor seemed like a total dork from the literally one minute i watched.

otherwise, march madness!! GW's getting some talk of being a #1 seed, very exciting.

4:43 PM  
Blogger CultureMaven said...

Are you INSANE? Of course they're not going to get a number one seed. Who's spreading that crazy rumor? I want names, numbers, locations so I can track them down and kick their asses. Maybe a three or four, and then they'll crash and burn. They fell apart at St. Bonnie's earlier this week. I mean, I love 'em, but they've been playing erratically, and now with Pops out they're struggling. Though Kireev did score six points last week for them last week (which, let me tell you, is s fuckin' miracle, because the boy is slow and has only average ball handling skills).

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home