Friday, March 10, 2006

Really, it's just the nadir of the crappy week

Well, it was really just the last nail in the casket. The straw that broke the camel's back. After a really shitty week at work (which...I don't talk about work here, but it was really overwhelming), wherein I got my back up about pretty much everything (I found out later it was at least partially PMS induced, but still, I was called on my insane ireateness by one of my friends), I opened the washingtonpost.com, and what did I see? That the Colonial's had gone down to Temple in the first round of the A-10. The FIRST round. I mean...they couldn't muster up enough to make it past the first freakin' round of a tournament that they SHOULD HAVE WON?

Sigh.

Now, I guess here's the problem. I can see the problems in the team. I mean, they had a light preconference schedule. Ridiculously light. And they struggled in important games. And with Pops injured, and Montrell McDonald on what seems to be an indefinite suspension for god only knows what (seriously, how badly did he piss Hobbes off?). Of course, I didn't actually see the game, but I can deduce from coverage that they didn't do well. So, congrats Temple fans. You took us down. And reduced me to sadness.

So let's find the good in the world.

Failure to Launch was called, in the Washington Post, Wilderesque. I was utterly surprised at the praise heaped on it, becuase...Matthew McCounaghy? Yuck. But, I see on metacritic it's getting a 48, which is more in line with what I expected. I was going to write in excitement over the release of V for Vendetta, but it doesn't come out til next week. I just hope it doesn't suck, becuase it's one of my favorite books, and the butchering of Evey Hammond by Natalie Portman is something I might not be able to handle.

It's Friday, and that's never bad. Of course, I'm most excited by the approach of the finale of Battlestar Galactica, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

It was utterly beautiful out today. Like, I wanted to leave work early and just bask in the sunlight. We opened the windows at the office at the end of the day which, honestly, is about the most wild that office ever gets. And it's supposed be more of the same tomorrow? Yeah, I'm takin' a bike ride tomorrow.

My rediscovery of Jepordy! I love Jepordy!, and I don't always watch it, but lately I've been catching it, and it's such a fun show. Sometimes I feel totally superior, and other times like a complete uneducated moron. For example, my first instinct for the president sworn in in 1923 was Wilson, but then I remember the League of Nations and World War I and know that's totally incorrect. It was Harding, in case you're interested.

So I'm sad that Battlestar Galactica is done, but Sunday! The Sopranos! Twelve new episodes! How can I be sad when I'm about to re-enter the world of Tony Soprano and his family. Well, I don't care as much about Tony's actual family, because, Meadow? I couldn't care less. But Silvio? Paulie Walnuts? Christaphah? Uncle Junior? Bobby Baccala? These are the people I care about. Though, after the end of season five and Adriana's ignomious exit? I sort of find myself wishing bad things on the characters. Drea de Matteo said in her commentary in season five that she felt that Adriana was a true innocent, and after discussion with my fellow Sopranos fans, we agree with her. That was the one character who really believed in the best of people, that people meant well. So, yeah. I'm excited that it's starting back up.

And, just to seal my geek credentials...Dr. Who! Making a reappearance! I haven't heard a thing about it, I have no preconceptions of it. All I do know is that world is divided into two groups. Those who understand what it means when, describing what "cab forward" design in a car is by saying, "It's like the TARDIS", and those who don't. And if you don't know what it means, then I can't help you. Not only does it take too long to explain, it's also totally pointless. You don't care. However, those of who thrill to the idea of the Daleks rendered better than as crappy prop pieces with people in them, sort of secretly and geekily thrill to the idea of a well produced Dr. Who. So, March 17th.

And, with apologies to Sars over at Tomato Nation, but staleBREAD and I had a marvelous time inducting John Bolton into the poltical chapter of the Girl's Bicycle Club yesterday. Because John Bolton? Riding around on a pink girl's bike with streamers coming off the handlebars and a white basket with platic daisies in it? Come on, that doesn't make you happy? I know that as he plunges us into a totally unneccesary conflict with Iran, it makes me feel better. And it's my vision, so I'll keep it, thank you.

Well, I think that might be enough lemonade. Too much and you get an acid stomachache.

1 Comments:

Blogger shimshamsean said...

way to be with the lemonade. at least you have the big dance to come for the Colonials. and Bolton on a girl's bike is always funny.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home