Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Water, Water Everywhere

You know, I've had my share of water related disasters. The water seeping into my bedroom from the condo above me. Waking up at 5:30 am and hearing dripping coming from inside the house, signaling that my pressure release valve needed to be replaced, like, right then. And then, yesterday, I got home and I heard this sound by the couch. At first I thought the cat was scratching the couch, and I hollered "Stop!" And the cat walks in from the bedroom like, "What?" So then I'm like, what the hell is that noise? Yeah. Water is dripping in through my window casement from upstairs. Luckily it was mostly dripping on the window sill. So I went upstairs, rang the bell, no one home. I came back, put a towel under it, wrote a note, and went to the gym. When I got back they were like, "Oh my god! We're fixing it right now! Is everything okay?" They came down and looked at it and apologized and were very nice about it. I actually think there's no damage, since it wasn't coming though the ceiling. So, that's my three, right? My three water related things? I'm done, right? My own and then one each from the two sets of condos above me, right? At least I didn't cry this time.

I'm going to level a book recommendation at y'all. I missed my last book club because I had to work, so I put off reading the book. So I finally did read it, and I have to say, I highly recommend Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (most well known for The Remains of the Day). I will admit, I have never read him before, but I just loved this book. He's deceptive. The book seems very artless, but it builds the tension of the story and is essential to how the plot of the story unfolds. I can't really say more than that without revealing more about the book, but...go out and read it. Great book.

Also, I'll go ahead and recommend Akeelah and Bee. It is sort of predictable, but solid performances. Angela Basset is beautiful and could kick my ass blindfolded (she's got some guns on her), Larry Fishburne solid, as always. Keke Palmer was cute and believable. And the guy who plays the Crab Man in My Name is Earl was in it as a gangster, which I just realized randomly this morning at work.

Edited like, ten seconds after I posted the above:

The Washington Post has an article about Sopranos stars running into trouble the dude who plays Artie Bucco got pulled over with a blood alcohol level of .12 (limit is, of course, .08), and the kid who plays Tony's new driver (recipient of a beat down from the big guy), for breaking into a woman's home. However, to me, the funniest part of this article is this:

"Robert Iler, who plays Tony's rebellious son, pleaded guilty to mugging two other youths and stealing $40. He was given three years' probation."

Damn. What was he thinkin' on that one? Forty bucks isn't even worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home