Monday, August 22, 2005

Random Monday Bits

This I'll post without comment: Crying While Eating, mainly because I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Onto other things, a great article in Slate on things overheard, The Word on the Street. It does remind me of a Lewis Black bit where he talks about being in a mall and overhearing a scrap of conversation out of context, and it's the stupidest thing you've ever heard. More can be found at Overheard in New York.

Credit to Tij for finding both of these and amusing me pretty much all morning with it.

I'm coming off a four day weekend, and I was hating life this morning at 5:40 when my alarm went off. However, I did spend Saturday at the Virginia Wine Festival, where it was hotter than the surface of the sun, tasting a lot of wine. Some good, a lot bad. The one winery I did buy from (in fact, everyone I was with bought from them), was Chrysalis, since they were the best of the ones I tasted. I didn't like a lot of what I tasted, and as the day went on, I was less willing to taste wines from grapes I didn't like very much (Vigionier, Cab Franc, Chardonnay). However, it was a very fun day, I ate a very large and very delicious Polish sausage, and hung with some friends.

Sunday I went to see Broken Flowers, which I liked immensely. I don't think the raft of little old ladies behind me liked it very much, given their reaction at the end of the film. But Bill Murray did a great job, and it really felt like a Jim Jarmusch movie, in that it was sort of small and humane. I saw Mystery Train when it came out and really admired it. Of course, the story there is that I went to see it with my friend Michael when we were in college and living in New York. As we sat down I thanked him for taking a flyer on a film that we knew nothing aout, and he replied, "Just so long as it doesn't have subtitles." And the movies starts and is...in Japanese. Sigh. I think he enjoyed it anyway, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home