Friday, November 25, 2005

Torqued Off

You know, I wonder about people who make really really bad movies. And I wonder how cheap they are to sell to HBO. Because HBO has been showing Torque, I'd say, pretty much every day. It's like the summer I lived in Marietta, OH, and they showed Harry and Hendersons every single day without fail. I keep seeing portions of Torque, and it's a movie I'm determined to see in five minute increments, because it would otherwise give me a brain aneurysm, and I would be dead on the floor being eaten by my cat. Because it's really horrible. Highly stylized, all primary colors, and really bad acting. Probably the best person in there is Ice Cube, and well...that's not saying a whole lot.

On the other hand, I saw Capote tonight. Amazing film. Philip Seymour Hoffman did a fabulous job as Truman Capote, and Catherine Keener was very sympathetic as Harper Lee. I had no idea that she was so involved with the writing of the book, for I don't remember him mentioning her at all. But I think the movie did a great job capturing Capote's character. The end was especially sad, where he was so eager to be done with the book, he needed Smith and Hickock to be executed so he could have resolution, and yet he still needed to talk to them and convince them that he was their friend and there to help them. But I can't help but think that if Capote weren't such a drama queen, this process wouldn't have been as destructive to him as it was. On the other hand, it's also possible that he wouldn't have written such an amazing book. He was horrible to Harper Lee at the end, with her biggest triumph with the film of To Kill a Mockingbird. Hoffman was very true to the character of Capote, which I found admirable, because he was a difficult person.

Updated word count at left, as always.

2 Comments:

Blogger shimshamsean said...

amen on Torque. Though I shamefully admit that I have seen the whole movie... in only two sittings. The girls-on-motorcycles knife fight is a highlight I would say.

4:25 PM  
Blogger CultureMaven said...

Yeah, I've never managed to make it that far. I'm scared to know the effects on my brain - sort of like those "this is your brain on drugs" ads they used to run.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home